When I go to my "happy place" in my mind, it is this hike that I went on. It was beautiful; completely serene and quiet; a peaceful, easy walk through trees on an old, old path. On one side of the pathway, there was the foundation of a school that had been there in the 1800's, or maybe early 1900's. The sun made those gentle stripes that you see in all of the "First Vision" pictures. That is the place I like to go when I meditate or try to relax. Unfortunately, we kept walking...and we climbed under a safety rail.
So, how were we to know that the safety rail was there for our own protection?! I get knots in my stomach just thinking about the rest of the trip. We came to the top of a sheer cliff, over which was pouring an extremely powerful waterfall. (Perhaps things have been amplified slightly in my still-quaking memories, but to me, it's Niagara.) I went to the edge to look over. Just knowing that I was three steps from instant death leaves me a little breathless and queasy. It would make my mother breathless and queasy too if she knew!
So, this last week when I took the Young Women in our ward on a little nature hike to a bridge overlooking some waterfalls, I was trying to keep myself from twitching, spasming and drooling in fear as we stood in the middle of what seemed a TERRIBLY rickety wooden bridge over some falls of death ten, no, twenty thousand feet down. It was just a crying shame we couldn't stay longer. Unfortunately, we had to get a move on...you know, hungry baby at home and all, right? All of a sudden, I just knew she was starving and on the brink of a complete meltdown. (Fine; she slept the whole time I was gone and was totally content. But, whatever.) See? Aren't I a good example of dedicated motherhood to these impressionable girls?
5 comments:
I'm freaked out just reading about it! I know just what you are talking about. I need to slow my heart rate down...
No way, I hate heights AND waterfalls too! They scare me to death. I always think I'll be seized my some terrible impulse, and I won't be able to resist throwing myself off. Luckily, I stay away from them. Whew!
I love waterfalls! When I was in fourth grade I went to a place called Sliding Rocks. We got to slide off the top of waterfalls that were at least 25 feet if not bigger and it was awesome! However... I am a little scared of the larger waterfalls. I have heard the voice of that impulse Missy is talking about... :)
Well, I can't share your unliking of waterfalls because I love them! But hey, the whole decdicated mother thing is a totally true statement!
By the way! Happy Birthday same day birthday buddy!
I was feeling your fear. I don't hate waterfalls, but I HATE bridges. I have been on hikes with the hubby that I basically run across a bridge screaming, and then breathe hard for quite a while after.
Post a Comment