Saturday, June 14, 2008

One of the Two Best Men I Ever Dated...

One of the best dates I ever went on started out pretty terribly. See, it all comes down to pride. When I was a senior in high school, I had heard that BYU didn't hold their wrestlers up to the same standards as everyone else (which I am now pretty sure may have been an exaggeration), but I was so miffed that I refused to even apply to the school and went elsewhere. Then, after getting my AA, I was singng a different tune and wanted to attend after all. Alas, though I was the only honor student in the family, I was also the only one to not get accepted.

What does this have to do with my best date? When I got the letter, my dad was the only one home. Usually, I run to my mom with things like this, but in this situation, I'm glad my dad was the one there. I started bawling (mostly because I really didn't have a back up plan). My dad came and sat by me on the couch and hugged me. Then, we went out to Red Robin for drinks. I can't remember what we talked about, but I remember thinking about how much my dad loved me right at that moment; that he cared about my little disappointments.
One of the best parts of growing up having my dad be my dad was that he was always an incredible supporter when we did sports. When diving down to begin a breaststroke race, you have to go a little deeper than other strokes. Nevertheless, at my very deepest I could always hear my dad yelling for me above the crowd. That was the best. Everyone could tell how proud he was of me by his obvious enthusiasm. I never have doubted that he was proud of me.

He is honestly one of the best men I have ever known. He is generous and kind, but goes out of his way to make sure people don't know how generous he is to others. One thing both my husband and I especially admire in him is how well he handles adversity. Even with the struggles he has had in the past few years, I have never heard him complain. He is constantly looking forward to things getting better, and downplays any of his limitations. I truly admire his humble attitude and his determination to serve the Lord to the best of his abilities. I am so grateful that I was given to his family.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I can't read this without crying. I dated the same guy. He is absolutely amazing.

Babydoll said...

I know how it feels to have a great dad. I am glad you had that growing up.

Anonymous said...

It brings me so much joy as a father and grandfather to have you and your family in my life. I am so proud of you and the way you have taught your little family and continue to teach them what is right. I have been blessed to have such wonderful children and grandchildren. Thank you for your kind words. love you all very much. Dad

lovecat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lovecat said...

Your right, he is an amazing man. I am glad that I got to date his son because I believe he really rubbed off on Michael.
-Jenny

I'm not sure how to express this but, here is goes. Now that I'm a husband and a father I'm surprised at how many situations pop up that I know how to help or solve because of what dad taught me. The older I get the more I want to return to my roots. Planting a garden, humming church hymn to my daughter, opening Family Home Evening the same way he did, even playing baseball! I hope I can lead my family as well as he did ours!
~Michael

EarlGirl said...

Ha, Ha! You didn't get into BYU and I did! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I caught that little dig about being the honor student in the family :) Dad is indeed great, and so are you.