Thursday, July 10, 2008

Month of Insanity

We started out the month in a wonderful way by having lots of family and friends come for Baby's blessing. We got to have Grandma, Grandpa, Great-Grandma and Oldest Nephew stay in our apartment. It was squooshy, but fun. It was so nice to have so many important people share the special time with us.

In the last week and a half, our sweet baby has developed a new talent, which I think is the cutest thing ever. We've never had a thumb sucker, but I am loving it. No late night searches for the elusive passie. No grossing out over germs when passies fall on the grodie ground and get popped back into mouths. Isn't she adorable?
Then came the really insane part of the month; the Birthday Extravaganza.
First came Dada's 30th birthday (the oldie!)
Then came big girl's birthday (5).
Then came my birthday (31--I know. SO old. I'm on my way to my forties!) Notice that there is no festive party. Although we "celebrated", we spent the entire day packing to move the next day.
Then, a week later, my boy's birthday (7). This was him waiting for his friends to come. This picture wrenches my heart. We were worried that everyone would either forget (we handed out invitations the last week of school), or be gone on vacation.
But, it turned out great. Plenty of kids came and they had a really good time.
But, this was the absolute best part of the month for me. This is what I see when I sit on my front patio and look up.
This is our driveway. No one can see my children from the road. They spend all day outside, digging in the dirt, chalk-drawing on the patio, climbing trees, riding their bikes,and getting a nice, liberal coating of dirt over their entire bodies. It's WONDERFUL!!!
This is our back yard. I know. I'm even jealous of myself.
This is our cute, little house, which is actually bigger than it looks. (No, not the doghouse. Look down!) It is open with larger rooms, and comes with smoke-free air. We did learn a valuable lesson that first night though. Reveling in our fresh-air-edness, we flung open our screenless doors, and all of our windows to soak it in; to bask in our natural habitat. Unfortunately, others were basking in OUR habitat and chewed us up in the night. We were COVERED in mosquito bites for days and have since been a little more moderate in our reveling.
We are SO, SO happy here. I've been thinking that certain brothers-in-law would love it here too, since it is legal to hunt on our 4 acres, and deer and elk (and other such big animal things) are rumored to wander through quite frequently. (We wouldn't know what to do with one, even if we did shoot it--if we had a gun.)

8 comments:

Jenn said...

We were just talking about making a trip to a certain nearby town for a hunting trip. We'll see if it pans out since we still haven't even had time to water our grass. Leave your garbage out and tell me if you have bears! Or skunks! Or racoons! Or leave some apples out and see if you have moose or deer or elk! Have fun. Be careful in the woods. Lots of hiding creatures. That looks beautiful!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

We do indeed have bears, or rumors of bears. I live 1/3 of a mile from the trail head of our local mountain, so we're really in the boonies!

Melanie said...

Awesome place! I didn't know you were moving, but it looks so beautiful. Be careful of the wildlife!
How many bedrooms do you have?

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

It's still just two rooms, but the kids' room is a lot bigger, and they're too chicken to sleep by themselves anyway. Half of the time, they sleep in the same bed; the bigger ones that is. (o: I like having the baby in there too. She only wakes up once in the night and the big kids sleep right through it. When she wakes up in the morning, I can hear them in there entertaining her. I love it.

Babydoll said...

What in the world! I didn't know you were moving. Are you still in the same place (city)? I can't believe you live in that house. What fun! I miss Washington so much. I think all the trees and green is pretty close to what my heaven will be like! :)

Babydoll said...

Oh yeah! Happy birthday to all (I didn't know they were ALL so close) and the little one is adorable. Sucking her thumb! What a doll. Your family picture is nice. You guys all look so great (especially you--new mommy!)

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Yeah, we're still in the same city. We moved about 2 1/2 miles from our old place! Not that far in distance, but a world away in so many other respects.

lovecat said...

that is such an awesome place! growing up in the woods is so good for kids. theres always an adventure to find! they must be loving it!

but be careful of skunks. we killed three yesterday and Micheal stunk pretty bad!