Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Yuck. Another awkward social situation

One of my very first friends when I moved here (and actually is still my friend) and I have an awkward situation on our hands. Last summer I started getting ready to get pregnant by collecting masses of baby items. I purchased an almost-new pack n' play with a bassinet attachment for $10. It was absolutely perfect. I went right home and set it up, sighing blissfully in anticipation. The next month, my dear friend asked if she could borrow it for her visiting relations' child. As it was then residing in its case all snugly in the corner of my livingroom, I decided that no harm could come of being generous. Alas, when I got my beloved pack n' play back, the bassinet bars were missing without a trace. My friend has torn her house apart for 6 months now with no luck. They have been sucked into the vortex of nothingness. When I still had 6 months, it wasn't a big deal to be patient as the search went on. But I have 2 weeks, 6 days!! Now, this friend has an absolute heart of gold. She threw me a baby shower, she borrowed a beautiful bassinet on my behalf, and found someone else with bassinet bars I could use temporarily. I care about her friendship dearly, but I was also counting on owning this pack n' play for a long time and using it as the baby's actual bed since we are so squished for space right now. This is compounded with my frugal nature and my desire to keep this purchase as a tremendous deal. The bars are $40 to replace which TOTALLY defeats the purpose of the whole bargain! AUGH! I feel like a completely ungrateful punk even bringing it up to her. I'm just upset that the situation had to happen at all. Isn't this a pain in the keister?

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Maybe I'm not visualizing how your exact pack n' play works, but are the bassinet bars just for the bassinet part? Because if they are, then you could just use the borrowed bassinet for however long the baby needs it and then when she's too big, then put her in the pack n'play for her bed? Several of our kids have used the Pack n'play as their bed for quite a while.

2 weeks to go! So exciting! Do you have a name picked yet? Are you using a midwife again?

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

I'm actually using the same midwife! She moved out of the old place to our new place, which was really handy for me. No names yet. We keep thinking we have one and then changing our minds. We are so darn indecisive!

Melanie said...

Maybe you should just write down the ones you like, then when you have the baby, look at her and say the list of names until one feels right. Or you could watch her and see if she gives you a "sign" when you say a particular name. Sign = gas, sneeze, wave of the hand, you know....

Jenn said...

Somehow you must have managed without one before. It's not worth bad feelings, I don't think. We never loan something that we would not give to the person. There is always a laundry basket. Small. Cheap. My kids loved it.

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Yeah, but before I had enough space for a real crib. Anyway, we just got it all resolved and she ordered the bassinet bars through Graco. They should be here in a week and a half! Whew! Just in time and we're still friends. I still think I'll bake her some bread or something.