Friday, March 14, 2008

Surprises

This first surprise wasn't the best one in the world. My boy had his first Little League practice the other day. The spousal unit and I had to laugh at ourselves though, and at how obvious it was that he was our first. All the other parents were gabbing in groups away from the kids while we were cheering for our boy running the bases in a drill and giving big thumbs up signs every time he looked our way. I loved to see his focus and concentration as he waited on the base, balanced on his toes, with his eyes glued on his coach until she gave the signal to run. It went really well until he was waiting in line to bat off a tee (the games will be coach-pitch though). Some poor, inexperienced, thoughtless person (or maybe I'm just prejudiced now) had given a bat to the kid at the tee and another to the first kid in line. Now, I want to ask any parent out there: how many six year old boys can hold a bat in his little hands without swinging it? Apparently not this one and he whapped my boy in the head with it, causing immediate despair and an instant desire to quit playing baseball and go home. With lots of kisses and a promise of popsicles and free video game time if he stuck it out, he returned to his line and jumped right back into the "swing" of things. He did a great job, and it was worth the bribe (though I'm sure it makes us terrible parents in some peoples' books) to help him stick it out. This picture is from the next day when it didn't look as bad. We had to have a lot of talks about accidents and forgiveness so that no vengeance would be sought. He wanted to hunt the kid down and take him out.
The next surprise was a LOT better than the first one (but it actually happened first). My parents called on Sunday asking if it was okay if they came to visit--right then!! OF COURSE!!! I was really glad that we had gone mega-shopping for our company the weekend before so we hadn't gotten into purely experimental left-over dinners yet. For a lot of reasons it turned out to be a real blessing that they came when they did. Plus, I just love having company!!! The kids were just beside themselves with excitement to have so many grandparents come in so short a time. So many Polly Pocket games, chess games, stories and snuggles filled up their little hearts.
My boy was SO excited to play catch with Grandpa in the back yard. (Come to think of it, he got hit in the head that time too. His poor little head has had a rough week.) He knows that Grandpa loves baseball, and that only strengthens his own desire to be amazing at it.
A carefully executed move by Grandma. My girl took this picture and was actually playing her as well. She has quite the creative maneuvers. Last week, her invincible pawn attacked me from all sides, and was followed up by a stunning cross-board move executed by her king to take my own sovereign down.
She is so beautiful.
And here I am in all my pregnant glory. Only 4 weeks, 5 days left; not that I'm counting. Ugh. My girl wanted to take a picture of me, and I think she's doing really well for a 4 1/2 year old.
Okay, here is my last surprise. I was innocently munching down my very healthy apple as I had a pleasant conversation with my spousal unit. I should have been more focused on my food. Only when it was too late did I look down and saw...
EW. Is there anything else to say? Just, ew.






3 comments:

Emi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emi said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Are you wearing green?!!!

Melanie said...

You are so adorable! 4 weeks comes fast. Just try to savor all the little wiggles and squirms. You forget that feeling so quickly after they're born. :) And could your precious little girl get any cuter?