Friday, February 29, 2008

My Dilemma

Okay, everyone. I have a dilemma: I absolutely love my calling, but I find that during Sundays and activity nights I am often caught up in the administrative part of it and haven't had a whole lot of bonding time with the girls. It doesn't help that all the girls who are new to me--and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE--is painfully shy. The obvious solution would be to attend an over-night retreat that we have planned for the end of March. There will be plenty of games, food, and spiritual experiences to create a bonding environment. The only problem is that it is two weeks before my due date, and an hour to the east of my house. The hour wouldn't be as big of a deal if the hospital wasn't already 40 minutes to the west of my house. Now, I have never delivered a baby early (out of all 2 of them), and was even a week and a half late last time, but there is always the possibility. I don't want some poor Laurel to put in 10 hours on THAT project. Then there is the problem of driving there. If I drove myself and then something did happen, I wouldn't be able to drive myself back, and would have to have someone take me. It's too far away to get a babysitter for the spousal unit to drive me, and it would be completely counter-productive to have my kids there. My Bishop just said to make the decision at the last moment so I have a better picture of how I'm feeling, but I really like to be prepared. I'm throwing this out there, hoping for some sage advice from some of you experienced mothers. Anyone?

3 comments:

EarlGirl said...

My only advice is that the retreat is probably a month before you're going to have your baby, and you'll kick yourself for not going then. You aren't a typical speed demon where labor is concerned. If contractions start, you'll have plenty of time to drive home, take a shower, get a babysitter, walk the halls, work on a project, try to take a nap, fold some baby clothes and whatever you feel like doing before it's even time to go to the hospital.

Melanie said...

Hmmmm....that's a tough one. It really is playing with fire to be that far away from the hospital that close to your due date. Here is what I think I would do.... Given your track record (which doesn't always mean I thing, I have found), I would plan to go, but prepare my mind for not being disappointed if I don't feel it's right to be there when it comes time.

I would gage how I'm feeling when it's time to go by three things. 1)What the doctor says (if I'm dilating and such) 2) How many contractions I'm having and 3)However I feel after having a prayer in which I'm open to hearing what His advice is for me.

The other thing I would do is have a talk with the baby (I'm serious) and tell her that you need this outing to have a fun bonding experience with the girls and that you need her to wait to make her appearance until after the trip and then she's free to come whenever she wants. It really works! I did that when my oldest was about to be born. His due date was Jan. 1st and I had to make it until then for the insurance to kick in. I kept telling him I needed him to wait until then. Then Jan. 1st, I went into labor, with full insurance coverage! They listen. :)

Jenn said...

You'll think of something good.