Saturday, February 23, 2008

Some fun books

We have been having mid-winter break (a really lame excuse for teachers to go skiing for a week), and I found some great books to read while the kids were having their play times, or when I took them to the park and didn't want to haul my pregnant self up onto the toy with them. The first one, I have had for a long time (yes, I bought it for a quarter at a yard sale last year--I am so good.), but just hadn't had the gumption to start it. It is just so BIG! But, I finally started it and it's really not bad at all! Apparently, my sister hasn't spent years raving about this book for nothing. (o: It's hard to fit on the book rack of the elliptical machine I use at the gym though. This book will always remind me of Seinfeld, when they tell Elaine that its original title was "War, What is it Good For." That's what we still call it.

And yet, I find that I can read others at the same time, as it is going to be a long-term project. So these are the other ones that I have enjoyed. I rarely read grown-up books because I just can't take the content. I don't like being scared and I don't like books that stress me out, so the kids' section is usually the first place I look. This one is just great. I read the first Leven Thumps book last year and loved it.



I have always wanted to know the story of Macbeth, but never wanted to read the play. This book puts additional fictional characters into the story, but apparently he stuck to the story really well. Man, the Macbeth's were creepy!


And good old Artemis Fowl. I love this criminal genius boy!

So, if any of you have any waste of time vacations coming up, these would be fun to read!


4 comments:

Jenn said...

I just got done with that Artemis Fowl book and even loved the next one more. Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony. LOVED IT! I can't work myself up to War and Peace. Ugh.

EarlGirl said...

Ug? UG?! War and Peace is only the best novel ever written! You just have to start with the condensed version. I've never even read the whole one. He includes all kinds of political essays in that one. One thing about Artemis- how in the heck would you pronounce the author's first name? It haunts me at night!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Ay-oh-win. That's how I say it anyway and it brought me a lot of peace. The one that drove me nuts was "Bodie Thoene"-- Tay-nee! I had to ask a lot of people to get to that one.

Kersten said...

I am so excited to read those. I loved Artemis Fowl. I am always looking for new books!