Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Another fun tag!

I've been tagged by my pal Melanie! I'm supposed to write seven things about myself that are random and weird. This is a tough one!

1. I need structure in my crafts. I seem to be completely incapable of coming up with good, creative ideas on my own, but if I have something to go off of, then I do just fine. It was always the same with art. If I can see it, I can draw it, but if it's something I have to come up with out of my head, then it turns out really lame. Sadly, I was born to copy. In college, I took a class on sewing an outfit without a pattern. We had to come up with a whole "line" first. Everyone else came up with these weird, exotic peacock feather or Indian type outfits and the only thing I could come up with was a swimsuit with a more modest cut (that turned out terribly). I spent more hours working on those stupid projects than any other class I had ever taken and still only got a B+. Maybe another point in this tag should be that I have trouble letting go of past issues! (o:

2. After saying that last point, I should also mention that I really don't like to follow directions. This explains a lot about my cooking. Most of my recipe experiences end in the phrase "Shoot, I wasn't supposed to add that until the end," or "Rats! That was supposed to go on TOP!" I always need to have a model to copy, but I don't like to read how to get there. I have always been grateful that they include pictures in patterns. If I do the steps out of order, I like to think of creative ways to still make my end product look like their end product.

3. Like my friend Melanie, I am also not a kid person. I love teenagers to death (which is why I taught high school and love my calling in Young Women), but I would rather cut off body parts than teach early elementary school. I do LOVE being a mother though, and truly cherish my time with my own kids, but I am not one of those people who adopts other peoples' kids as my own. Of course, those years I spent babysitting probably didn't help. It brings out my inner Nazi.

4. I dream a lot. I have really, really vivid dreams and most of the time they are really, really weird. Last night, for instance, I had a dream that I was complimenting my friend's sweet new baby that her husband was holding, and her husband thought I was hitting on him. I can't watch any kind of scary movie without expecting horrible nightmares for many nights to come. There are two TV shows that I really used to like watching (Heroes and Medium) that would wake me up at night, my dreams were so bad. I had to quit Medium cold turkey, and have been very grateful for the Heroes break during the writers' strike.

5. I don't like to leave my house. My ideal day would see me at home all day long, playing with my kids, making muffins with them, reading by myself during their quiet time and watching the rain outside from a very safe, warm place.

6. I love routine; not in my day, just in the things I do throughout my day. I like to stack the dishes in the exact same places every time I load the dishwasher. I like to run exactly the same route every time and lift weights in the same order each time--which could explain slower results since I always do the same muscle groups. In the shower, I wash everything in the same order every time (but that one is mostly because I want to be able to do it in my sleep and know that everything got clean!). It sounds awfully boring, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. Hey, this tag asked for weird and random things.

7. I like to read kid novels a whole lot more than adult ones. In part, this has to do with #4. I used to be a voracious Mary Higgins Clark reader, but I couldn't handle the dreams. I would rather read a brain-dumping kid book than any other kind. I don't like to think when I read, so, though I collect books like Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, and Managing Stress, I only use them as resources, never actually reading the whole thing.

Phew! That was hard! Okay, I'm supposed to tag 7 people now, so I pick Cherie, Laura, Michael AND Jenni, Missy, Jenn and Cassie. Have fun! I look forward to reading them!

2 comments:

Sweet Cherie said...

Going along with your #2, I love buying recipe books, but they absolutely must have a picture for each recipe. I can't cook it without a picture of what the finished product should look like.

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

The only problem with buying cookbooks though, is that when I actually do follow the directions I'm only depressed because mine doesn't look like theirs. Of course, it would help if I always had all the right ingredients and didn't do my own creative substitutions.