This is the excited call that I hear from the kitchen. "Hey! Even more! Hurry, get over here! Pour it out!" my boy calls to his sister. They have been digging through the recycling, the shredder, and casting envious glances at the garbage, which thankfully contains a deterring poopy diaper or two. This happens so frequently at my house. Sometimes the hot commodity is diamonds (sparkly rocks), and my shiny, lovely vacuum sucks up (and upchucks) rocks for weeks after their explorations. Sometimes it is "golden," and every metal thing in the house gets hoarded into various treasure boxes. Today, it is silver. My boy came over to me last night to hand me a piece of carefully torn foil gum wrapper in the shape of a heart. How precious is that? As I heard him rummaging through the recycling for more though, I called him over and let him in on valuable secret. "Hey, go look in the third kitchen drawer." Oh, yes. The Silver Motherload. The Foil Drawer. For some time now, I have collected foil--mostly because every time we go grocery shopping I suddenly think we must be completely out and stock up.
Ah, the market has changed again. Now the wonderful item is torn off pictures of food from the recycled ads. They are trying to rip me off the tastiest dish they can find. I'm getting hungry. If your heart is where your treasure is, my babes have their sweet hearts spread all over the place. I wouldn't have it any other way.
6 comments:
I love that you pay tribute to these moments! There will be a day when I don't have a jar of rocks, pine cones, twigs, gords, volcanos made out of glue gun glue...and I will miss it!
That's so cute when kids find joy in simple things, isn't it?
I love their creative explorations. Samantha would hit it off with them. :-) Bring 'em over.
That's adorable! You have such great kids.
Too cute! Don't worry, maybe they wont outgrow these adorable quirks. My mom claims I haven't outgrown hauling rocks around in my coat pocket.... but I disagree! Now its things like keys and my wallet that make my coat weigh a ton. Maybe a purse would be a good investment?
I love stuff like this! I really enjoy the way you write too. I laughed all the way through it.
Post a Comment