Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The End of a Big, Moldy, Self-Destructing Era

I love Craigslist. It has made life so easy. On Friday night, I decided to sell our nasty, moldy old van. On Saturday afternoon, I sold it. That same afternoon, I decided to sell our station wagon. Sunday afternoon (I know, I probably shouldn't have done it on the Sabbath. I feel terribly guilty.), I sold it. The really funny part was that the spousal unit ended up having to work that day and had driven it to work. It sold while he was at work and he was stranded. It was all so sudden. We didn't really prepare ourselves to only have one car. I need to go car shopping! Good thing I have Craigslist since, you know, I don't have a car and all.

I've been thinking about a funny phenomenon. I think that women have this insatiable need to mother, whether it be their own kids, or random people in the store. I had to laugh the other day at Target when I bought some small bottles for my babe. I ran and filled one up with water, came back, and was showing my hubby how the stupid thing was leaking. We were still close to the drinking fountain and my other kids were getting a drink. A woman approached me and said, "It really helps if you loosen the lid a little," gave me this wise, motherly look and said, "I've got three kids at home." As she walked away, I smiled and thanked her, tightened the lid since I had already loosened it, gathered my three children and left. When I was pregnant, and people found out that I was lifting weights, they would shoot me these knowing, concerned looks and say doubtfully, "Do you really think you ought to be lifting still?" Duh! If I didn't think I should be lifting, I probably wouldn't be, right? What is it that compels us to dole out free advice? I know that I do it all the time, and others do it to me constantly. Are we so certain of others' ineptitude and our own superior experience? Why do we do this, girls???

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

First, Target. Ahhh... Target. Okay, I'm done remembering the good ole days when Target was around.

I think it is typical to share our strengths and experiences with other people. In the right situation it is wonderful.

Some times, however, I think people just state the obvious because they have nothing better to do.

How many people tell you your baby is missing a sock when you wander around the store with a one-socked baby? NO, I didn't notice one bare foot kicking me in the chest (enter stomach here if you are taller than 5 feet) from the comfort of the car seat.

On the other side of the same coin however...

I remember flying alone with Samantha when she was a baby, and she had puked all over me. The other mom with the wet wipes, stain stick and baggie for my puke covered sweater was an answer to silently uttered prayers.

Oh, and, YOU LIFTED WEIGHTS WHILE PREGNANT???? (just kidding)

:-)

Jared and Paige said...

I'm glad to find you in blog world. :) I love the cute pics. you have on here. I love the idea of the tent for general conference! You are such a great mom. By the way, one of these days, perhaps if the weather ever turns nice again, and when I decide to take on a project, I really do want you to teach me a little about sewing. I'll have to send you an invite to our blog as well.

Jenn said...

Do I?
You should go return that bottle.

EarlGirl said...

I remember buying crayons with Lewis a the store because we were out, and Kelty's teacher was sending notes home. A gal in line in front of us looked at Liam and said, wait till you have kids in school, you'll be drowning in crayons. We just smiled, and nodded.

Ms Renee said...

Hey, anytime anyone wants some free advice, just call me. I'd like to think I still have something worthwhile to offer.....

Definitely return the bottle. In your spare time.

In your second car.

On the dry roads.