Wednesday, January 21, 2009

No, She's Not Dead.

Outside of my family, there are a few people to whom I am fiercely loyal. They could come over, shoot my dog, kick my cat and burn my house down and I would still defend them to the death and assume they did it all for a good reason. One of these people is "Kimmy Lou Kentucky Fried Chicken". She was my roommate in college and one of the most excellent people I have ever known. In the two years she was my roommate we only got upset with each other once. We didn't fight, we just got upset...and we were so upset that we had gotten upset with each other that we smoothed it over as quickly as we could. It is very rare to meet a person like Kimmy Lou.
She is the kindest, most selfless person I think I have ever known. She always noticed people; who was having a hard day, who needed flowers-- and she would quietly go out and take care of it. Even when I was having my own struggles with being a good person, she was a loyal and true friend, never criticizing me for mistakes that I made. I think that this quality alone would have endeared her to me for life.She was the leg-wrestling champion of the ward, even beating all the boys; must have been those horse-riding muscles.
We did pretty much everything together; eating, shopping, dances. Whenever we went out in her truck, we would put in Shania Twain and sing at the top of our lungs. Ah, good times.
When she got married, I thought I was going to die. I felt completely alone in the world. The first time I went over to her new apartment (I avoided it for 2 months), I sat outside for 20 minutes bawling my eyes out. I missed her so terribly. It had always been me and her, no matter how many boys came and went.
Here is her family now (--yes, I shamelessly stole this picture off your blog, Kimmy Lou). Aren't they the most beautiful little family though? Her husband is just as nice as she is and they are just perfect for each other. She cans, she is a fabulous cook, and she used cloth diapers for all of her kids, even her twins! Can a person GET any better than that? I can only dream of being that cool.

Kimmy, even though this will probably mortify you, I just wanted you to know that you're not forgotten.

4 comments:

twoplustwins said...

Kristy,
all I can say is that was very sweet! I must have blushed about 5 shades of red. it was fun to see the pictures and think fondly of some great memories and fun times. I will have to admit that one picture in particular I never thought would make it on the web :o)! I think of you often and love reading about your families happenings. a small way to keep in touch. btw: whenever I hear shania twain I will always remember great times with you in the truck! thanks for being a great friend!
Lots of love!
~Kim

EarlGirl said...

Oh, that's so sweet! You've gotta love friends like that!

Babydoll said...

Makes me really miss my college roommate as well. I learned so much from the many great friends in my life that I don't really see anymore.

Claybrook Family said...

You are so sweet Kristy. Yea for cloth diapers!! :)