Sunday, January 9, 2011

Something Worth Blogging About

Our commuter car has some, let's say, eccentricities.  For one thing, it feels like the seat is crooked, so I'm never 100% sure that I am really steering straight, or if the car is just trying to make me think I am..  Then, there is the delightful maze of cracks on our front windshield, that doubles as a shield for the road in front of you and an entertaining past time for the passenger.  My very favorite though, is the deceitful gas sensor.  We have to watch our mileage like a hawk because the gas gauge will pretend like it is full for 200 miles, and then, in a moment of the car's weakness, will plummet to past empty with the light on and everything.  Within about 30 seconds though, it will realize its slip and shoot back up to full, hoping you didn't notice.  I'll tell you why this is my very favorite, as of today.

This morning, my 7 year old woke up, and as a result of her lightning-trigger puking reflex, stayed home with her dad from church.  As a result of her abdominal fireworks, I took the small car (a.k.a. The Great Deceiver) and the other two kids for a morning of spiritual enlightenment.  On the way home in said deceiver, on the most INSANE intersection of the BUSIEST street in our entire town, in the CENTER lane, T.G.D. pulled a fast one.  Gauge plummeted, car shuddered, and she was done.  Of course our ENTIRE ward was driving home to the same neighborhood at that same time, on that same street, which was both a blessing and a curse. My uncle was stopped behind me, and I waved in a merry, care-free and nonchalant manner to all the church members as they gawked at/ swerved around us.  As I had only grabbed my wallet and keys out of my purse on the way out of the door that morning (hey, a woman can only carry so many bags, and scriptures had a priority at that moment), I didn't have my cell phone.  Eventually, my uncle also swerved around us and I knew he would come back to help.  I called back to my kids, "Look guys!  Uncle Steve is coming to rescue us!"  My big boy stopped praying for the car to start and craned his neck to see.  When Steve got to the window, he asked me to put it in neutral so he could push...in his church clothes.  I did and then looked back to see how he was doing, and gasped.  Men were running from all over the place to come help.  There were youth waiting on the street corner to be able to cross and come help.  It was the sweetest, funniest, most wonderful thing I had ever seen: this whole herd of men in dress suits pushing my car down the street, around the corner and into a parking lot.  There were so many of them pushing, that they had to run to keep up.

It was this, times about 6:

It's so nice to know that I am taken care of and that the Lord, and the ward are looking out for me.

1 comment:

Lynnae said...

I love it! What a fun story.