Thursday, July 2, 2009

Scattered

My brains, my possessions, my future. Scattered.

I'm going to do a terrible thing today. I'm going to clear off all of the new posts from my reader on igoogle. I'm so sorry! I feel terribly guilty if someone has blogged and I either haven't read it, or haven't commented on it yet. But, for the sake of my own sanity, I am going to skip this last week's blogs because I would spend every waking moment trying to catch up. You all know that I still love you, right?

I am still so glad that I did that 5K. That one little race did so much for my self-image. The other day I decided to run to my sister's house. I didn't know exactly how far it was, but I told myself, "I've done hard things before. I've run a 5K up and down steep hills. I can do it!!" And, guess what? I did! Woo-hoo for me! And guess what else? It was about 3 miles. (The really sick thing is that I'm thinking of doing it again!) The next day, I decided to do a much shorter run over to the library and brought my big boy on his bike. By the time I went there and back, I was thinking that maybe it wasn't as short as I thought. Want to know how far it was? Yeah. 3 miles. I skipped the next day. (o: But, today, I rode my bike to my in-laws house, about 3 miles away. (Hmmm. Is there a pattern here?) As I was killing myself going up the last enormous hill (yes, I am a COMPLETE pansy on my bike--which is a serious beast that I happen to love), a phrase from Galaxy Quest kept thrumming a rather dramatic drumbeat through my head, "NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!" And I made it! The construction workers at the top of the hill had a good snicker at the grown woman panting, beet red, up the rest of the hill at a snails pace, but I made it!

I love personal victories.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

It's like you are the epicenter of the 5k universe! Running makes other things in life feel a lot easier.

Jen said...

How long ago did you run your 5K? What was your time? I just ran my 1st 5K today...don't know my official time yet though...I hope its close to my goal! I'll be blogging about it either way

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

My official time was this: Super Slow, but alive and still moving. It's on the records that way. (o:

Jewels said...

yeah girl keep it up!

Babydoll said...

Personal victories are GREAT! I am glad you are perservering.