Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I've Seen Too Many Hours This Morning

Yes, it's 5 in the morning and Baby and I have been hanging out since 3 or so. She's had the hiccups for about half an hour, which I think has thwarted the slumbering process. Now, I think I can finally write one of those amazingly witty blogs that I always come up with at 2 in the morning...if I can uncross my eyes, gather my two functioning brain cells, and focus on the screen.

What I'm usually pondering at 2 in the morning is how hilarious nursing can be. I absolutely love nursing (after the first 2 weeks of brutal torture are over), and nursed my first two until the first was 15 months (and stopped because I was pregnant), and the second was 18 months. This one is particularly funny though. She seems to have some kind of misunderstanding between "let down" and "let go", and will often look up during the first to ask if she should do the latter, while simultaneously getting hosed down and spitting out whatever mouthfuls of milk she had managed to get. Then, there are those discreet signs that she may have a bubble in her stomach that she delicately needs to expel. I usually pick up on it when she starts kicking like a champion soccer player, pummeling me with her little fist, while pulling off and head-butting me. I gently change her position to up on my shouler where she daintily belches, making the neighbors' windows rattle, and often hosing me down in return. But, after I have wiped us both up for the fourteenth time that hour, it's so worth it when she snuzzles her sweet little spit-uppy head under my chin and goes to sleep without a care in the world. I love how content she is and how much she trusts me to take care of everything she needs. I really do love being a mommy.

4 comments:

EarlGirl said...

Aw, those precious morning moments. I'll think of you after I've slept for 8 hours straight. I do wish I could borrow her for a while though.

Babydoll said...

I never thought I would say this, but I miss those times. Little Scamper doesn't really spit up anymore, has recently been sleeping from 7 to 7, and doesn't have time for anything cute when nursing--he must eat, eat, eat!!!

Jenn said...

Oh, I love those minutes! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

lovecat said...

you know I can totally identify with you! All those midnight feedings. Wait...no...I think I sleep through those. But Jen gives me the highlights in the morning. It's not that I wouldn't help I just never hear it and wake up.