Saturday, May 14, 2011

Birthday Ecstasy

Today was my brother's birthday and we ended up celebrating in the best way imaginable. We had the most incredible rain storm I have seen in years.  The wind and lightening were going like crazy and the streets were instantly flooded.  It reminded me so much of Michael.  I have this picture of him in my head during a rain storm like this.  He just stood in the front yard at Mom and Dad's house, looking up into the sky, just soaking it all in--literally.  Basking.  I could see him sending this storm just as a fun reminder of the passion he had for life.  My hubby ran out in it to entertain the kids, then all the kids followed him (even the cousins we were babysitting--right down to the 1 yr. old!) and ran laughing and shrieking through the puddles and the buckets of rain.  I even ran with them (much to the amusement of our 91 yr. old neighbor who was watching all the craziness from his front door.)  It felt like I passed a little piece of Michael down to them.

My big girl just came upstairs carrying a helium balloon with the words "Feliz cumpleanos" on it.  She said she found it on our front porch and that it had just blown there.  He is determined that we celebrate today!  (o:  Happy birthday, bro.  I sure love you.  I sure miss you.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Rain storms always remind me of him too. One of our first dates was flying a kite in the rain under his umbrella. He also used to take me puddle splashing. Last summer we spent a wonderful evening watching an amazing lightning storm from the front porch, awed by the beauty of this world we live in.
I am glad you had a good time and that he sent you a balloon. Love you sis...