Saturday, April 21, 2012

Am I Four Yet?

I think my Audrey (yes, I'm sick of coming up with nicknames for them) has been three for several years now.  All year she has been asking when she is going to be four, but it's really hard to explain to a small child the concept of landmarks in the year.  The best one we could come up with was that she would be four after the baby was born.  Fast forward to that happy, happy day when Savannah was finally here.  The children are all gathered around my hospital bed.  Audrey climbs up onto my lap, looks at the baby, then at me and asks, "NOW am I four?!"  Alas, still another month and a half to wait, baby!

The week of her birthday finally arrived.  Sometimes, she would wake up from a nap, unsure of the day and say, "Am I four today?"  "No," I would reply.  "It's two days after preschool day."  I would hold up my fingers and point to them in turn.  "Here is today, here is tomorrow, and then THIS day is your birthday."  Today was finally the big day.  When I came down in the morning I said, "Audrey!  Today is your birthday!!  You are four now!"  A look of surprise came across her face.  After much squealing and jumping about, she calmed down and came over to me.  "I don't feel four, Mama.  I still feel three and a half!"  Sweet girl.  It makes me sad that my baby is getting so big.  I'm sure that four-ness will soak in soon.  (o:

1 comment:

Jenn said...

That is so cute!!!